Podcasts are totally addicting! At least for me anyway, once I start a good one, I usually binge listen to it until I’m all caught up or it’s over. If you’re a fellow listener, you know what I mean when I say that is a very sad day when you run out of good stuff to listen to!
Outdoor podcasts are especially amazing because they can inspire your hiking lifestyle, even when you’re not on the trail.
They don’t take a lot of brain power to listen to, and they don’t make anybody mad or sad or worried the way some other podcasts can. True crime podcasts – I’m looking at you!
If you’re looking something new and inspiring to listen to, check out this master list of outdoor podcasts:
- She Explores. She Explores is all about inspiring creative and curious women to get out there and explore the great outdoors.
- Outside Podcast. If you’re a fan Outside Magazine or Outside Online, this one’s for you. They cover pretty broad topics related to outdoor survival and expert interviews about nature, science, and outdoor sports.
- Sounds of the Trail. This one is highly recommended for any aspiring long distance hikers out there. It is a bit of a unique show as the episodes show case voice recordings and interviews from real thru hikers while they are on the trail. They feature hikers from the Appalachian Trail, Pacific Crest Trail and Continental Divide Trail.
- The First 40 Miles. Like the name implies, this is inspired by the magic that happens in your first 40 miles of backpacking. Give this a listen if you’re brand new to backpacking.
- Hike Like A Woman. Everyone who has ever spent any time in the outdoors has had an experience that changed them, shaped them, and made who they are today. The Hike Like A Woman podcast shares these inspiring women’s experiences with you.
- The Trail Show. This podcast is simply all things hiking, all things backpacking, all trails, and all the beer 🙂
- Out There. Out There is hosted by a Colorado Trail thru-hiker who sheds light on other people’s transformations in the great outdoors.
- Dirtbag Diaries. This is by far one of my favorites! They share the best outdoor, dirtbag, stories. Some are serious, some are sad, reminding us of the very real risk we take on when we adventure outside. Some are just funny, featuring some awesome, hilarious, creative dirtbags. (Just to clarify for any east coast friends who may think that ‘dirtbag’ is an insult, something to call a sleazy, rude guy at a bar – this is not that type of dirtbag. These dirtbags wear the name with honor and have earned the title after hiking hundreds of miles, sending too many pitches to count, or living in a make-shift camper van!)
- Mountain Meister. Another one of my personal favorites, this podcast ‘explores the minds of those who explore.’ They interview, and sometimes tag along with some extreme adventurers to give us some insight into their day to day lives.
- Wild Ideas Worth Living. Yessssss this one’s presented by my most favorite humans over at REI Co-op. They bring us a regular dose of inspiration to get up, get out there, and pursue our dreams, no matter wild they are.
- Tough Girl Challenges. Tough Girl features bad ass ladies who have overcome ridiculously amazing physical challenges.
- Outside/In. This podcast focuses on our natural world and how we use it, but you don’t have to be an extreme conservationist to enjoy it. Outside/In is for anyone who loves the outdoors and our natural spaces.
- Boldly Went. This weekly podcast features crazy, true adventures of outdoor enthusiasts and athletes around the world.
- Dirt In Your Skirt. Dirt In Your Skirt features female racers who nerd out about racing, women’s health, fitness, and overall well being.
- Dispatch Radio. This is great to listen to if you want to keep a finger on the pulse of the outdoor industry.
- Get Outside. We love Get Outside because they features regular people just like you, who figure out how to squeeze amazing adventures into their lives. Listen along if you need a little inspiration and a nudge in the right direction.
Hopefully you’ve discovered some new podcasts to check out and add to your queue so you don’t run out of great stories to listen to!
Did I miss any? Let me know your favorite outdoorsy podcast in the comments below!
I think you might also enjoy these hiking lifestyle posts:
- How to Make the Most of Your First Hike
- What Does it Mean to Hike Your Own Hike?
- 7 Self-improvement Tips For Hikers
If you enjoyed this post, share it!