Father’s Day is right around the corner! If you want to surprise Dad with something special this year, instead of the same old, same old, then read on for fresh hiking gift ideas for any Dad who dabbles in hiking, camping or backpacking.
10 Hiking Gifts for Dad this Holiday Season
- A Serac Hammock to relax in! Or if he’s into sleeping outside then go for the full Hammock Bundle that includes everything he needs for protection from the elements, and the bugs! Don’t forget to use coupon code ADVENTURE15 at checkout for 15% off your purchase.
- A cozy mid layer fleece for those cool summer nights. This Flowcore fleece from REI is soft, breathable and made to be layered with a rain jacket or hard shell in harsher weather.
- Black Diamond Trekking Poles. If the dad in your life does any hiking uphill, or downhill, or across streams he’ll appreciate a pair of trekking poles to help his body climb hills more efficiently, save his knees on the down hills, and provide stability on any uneven terrain or stream crossings.
- A portable camping grill to cook you a delicious dinner over the fire.
- A new, synthetic hiking shirt. (To replace the old smelly one!)
- Exofficio Underwear – my husband swears by them! He started wearing them to hike the Appalachian Trail, but now doesn’t wear anything else.
- A new rain jacket. Rain jackets are something that every outdoor lover needs, but no one really wants to shell over the money for! And they do wear out over time, like most things. So, if he’s an avid hiker he’ll probably need a new at least every couple years or more.
- A multi-function watch for adventure. We love the Casio ProTrek because it’s got everything you would want to know on a hike – an altimeter to track elevation change, a barometer to track atmospheric pressure (which let’s us know about incoming storms,) a thermometer, compass, plus all the basic watch functions.
- A Cairn Box, or a few. This is a monthly subscription box packed full of outdoor gear, snacks and supplies. Bonus – this makes for a great last minute Father’s Day gift!
- A backcountry cookset, as shown below. If he’s into backpacking, or wants to get into backpacking, he’ll need a way to cook his food on the trail. Honestly, I think the pre-assembled cooksets you find in stores or online usually have way more than you need in them and are heavy or big to pack in a backpack, so you’d do better to assemble your own. All you need is one cook pot, one compact camping stove, an eating utensil, and I like to bring keep campsuds with my cookset too so I can wash it out every once in a while.
Keep in mind the best gift of all is time to use any of the above. Set aside a weekend and do the leg work to plan out a trip, even just to a local campground, to unplug and reconnect with the family.
This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience, see my full disclosure for more info.
Let us know your best hiking gift ideas for dad in the comments below.
For more outdoor gift ideas, check out:
- Build your own hiking gift basket
- Unique hiking gift ideas
- Cool gift ideas for the techie father
- Hiking gifts for him